Thursday, May 7, 2009

A perfect day

What a lovely day. I swore off all errands and cleaning for the day. First I met with my friend Ashley and took our kiddos to Deanna Roze farmstead where the kids can feed baby goats from bottles, feed adult goats, ducks, fish, cows, and just about every farm animal you can imagine. There is a fishing pond and a hayride and a pony ride. If you can handle about 100 other screaming children, it's actually a run time. And free. Then I took my mom out to a fancy lunch for mother's day. I used to do that all the time for her and haven't much the last few years. The older I get though, I realize time is more important than anything else I can give her.

After that Brian and Ash and I went to pick up the dogs. Maddi got spayed and Strummer was hanging out keeping her company. We got lots of compliments int eh waiting room on how well trained Strummer is. Which makes me feel like we're doing a good job. Maddi is our new foster. She has been with us two weeks and has gained ten pounds. She is a full-blooded border collie. She came to us weighing 14 pounds and scared to death of everything! She will now come when called (sometimes) and will let us pet her. She still won't voluntarily spend any time out of her kennel though. She's such a sad little thing, but I think she'll recover well. We'll probably have her most of the summer, I expect. Doc thinks puppy mill, but the shelter she came from said abuse. Anyway, it's a sad thing to do to a dog.

After we got home Ash watched a bit of a movie and I sat outside and read while Brian climbed our apple tree and cut off branches (we've decided to put the poor tree out of it's misery) while the dog and the cat roamed around beneath him. It was pretty funny. It was such a nice peaceful few minutes. Then we made spaghetti carbanara and garlic bread and ate outside in the beautiful 75 degree weather. Lovely.

Brian left for work and Ash and I decided to take the dogs for a walk. That was a trip. I have one dog I'm trying to teach to heel and another that has probably never been on a walk in her whole life. Challenging, at best. By the end though, Strummer seemed to be getting pretty good at heel. Won't it be nice when I can take him on a walk without a leash! I think it's possible.

Then I just acquired My Neighbor Totoro, which I'm pretty sure is one of the greatest kids movies ever. And surprisingly well-dubbed into English. You go, Dakota Fanning. I'm so happy to have it for Ashley. I need to get her more of the Studio Ghibli stuff, but since she can't read I need stuff that's been dubbed. It's better than nothing right?

So anyway, now I'm doing a nice at home facial and my my pores are looking very polished indeed. All in all, it was a perfect day off. The only thing better would be if Brian was still home and maybe a bit of winkedy-wink-wink.

Time to read some more Sookie Stackhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment