Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Let's be friends!

I have a lot of friends. A lot of different kinds of friends. People sometimes remark that they wouldn't think I would be friends with this person or that person. "Well, they're not really your type" they say. Which I kinda get. By 'my type' they mean, just like me. But honestly, how boring would it be if all my friends where just like me?

There is this super trendy salon here in Westport called Lady Luck. There's a couple of them, Lady Luck, Choptops, Salon Medusa, that are full of the tattooed alternative types. People tell me they expect me to be working at a place like that, not a high end salon in the classy conservative side of town. Well, a couple of things about that. A - most of the people that go to those types of salons can't afford me, or to maintain their look. They often get a one time funky color then never touch it up. B - I'd be working with and on people just like me. How boring.

I am a people person, that's part of why I do so well at what I do. And people intrigue me. Why they are the way they are, their life experiences, why they do what they do. I'm interested in the schoolteacher, the pharmaceutical rep, the software engineer, the 70-year-old grandma, the midlife gay man, the 16-year-old kid, the never-married-never-want-t
o-be, with kids, no-kids,the liberal, the conservative, the blond bombshell, the Wiccan, the down-home-country-girl, the jock, the biochemist, the b-52 pilot,the stay-at-home-mom, the career woman, and the cheerleader. I am friends with people twice my age and people half my age. I am friends with my parents. All of these people, I enjoy their company. I want to go out to lunch, I want to hear about their lives and hear their insights.

So many people have so much to offer to the world, but get so stuck in their own little cliches and circles that they don't even know how to relate to other people. Let me tell you, 99% of the time, you do have something in common with every person you meet. You just have to find out what it is. You never know who's going to really get you, or touch in some way that you never thought possible, or bring some insight to your life that you may have completely missed before.

Variety, truly is, the spice of life!

1 comment: